LAW DAY 2023 COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP
The Brazoria County Bar Foundation, in conjunction with the Brazoria County Bar Association & the American Bar Association Law Day 2023, is sponsoring a $1,000 Essay Writing Contest.
“Cornerstones of Democracy: Civics, Civility, and Collaboration”
In recent years, tensions in our democratic system have revealed deep divisions in American society. These divisions are aggravated by incivility in public discourse and insufficient understating among many people about the Constitution and the way American government works. Together, however, we can collaborate to overcome our differences, resolve our disputes, and preserve our democracy and republic. To that end, members of the legal profession can lead the way in promoting civics, civility, and collaboration—the cornerstones of our democracy.
All scholarship entries should reflect the student’s interpretation of the 2023 Law Day theme by responding to the following prompt:
“Explain or depict how pursuing civic, civility, and collaboration could help our society improve public discourse and inspire greater understanding of the Constitution and American government. “
- Applicants for this scholarship must be current 12th grade high school students attending high school in Brazoria County, Texas or residing in Brazoria County, Texas. Furthermore, the scholarship is contingent upon applicant providing proof of Fall 2023 enrollment at a college/university accredited by the U.S. Department of Education-recognized accreditation entity or a Council for Higher Education-recognized accreditation entity.
- The essay must be written in response to the above-referenced prompt in 750 words or less. The essay must be no more than three pages, typewritten, and be double-spaced.
- All expenses involved in preparing and submitting an entry are the entrant’s responsibility.
- Entrants must allow the Brazoria County Bar Foundation, the Brazoria County Bar Association, the American Bar Association, and/or the State Bar of Texas to reproduce entries in any medium without restriction.
- The submitted work must be the student’s own original work.
- The applicant agrees that by submitting an application, they are declaring they meet all the stated requirements of eligibility contained herein.
- Only one entry per student.
- Submission of application does not guarantee applicant will be awarded a scholarship.
The essay must be submitted by March 31, 2023 by 5:00PM.
Form submission is now closed.